This week we are doing a 1-week WATER CHALLENGE!
As things start to heat up outside and as you continue to exercise, we need to be aware of how much water we are drinking. Our body is roughly made up of 60% water, but we lose water every day by breathing, digesting, exercising, sweating, and urinating. When we drink diuretics, like coffee and alcohol, we should drink even more water.
MOST of us should probably drink MORE water each day to keep our bodies running at optimal performance. So, let’s do this water challenge together!
STEP 1: Determine how much
The big question is… how much? The amount will depend on your BMI, your climate, and your daily activity. According to WebMD, we should be drinking at least half our weight in fluid ounces of water every single day. The Institute of Medicine says an adequate intake of water for a female adult is 75 oz. (that’s 9 cups) and is 100 oz. (or 13 cups) for a male adult. That doesn’t include the water found in the foods we eat (which makes up about 20% of our water intake/day).
If you want to know more specifically how much water you need try this handy, free water intake calculator I found online: https://www.gigacalculator.com/calculators/water-intake-calculator.php
STEP 2: Track it
Here’s what you need for a water challenge:
First you need a water bottle. If it doesn’t have measurements listed on it, then simply fill the bottle up and then dump it into a measuring cup to know how much a full bottle equals. This will help you keep track. Once you finish drinking a bottle, mark it down.
Secondly, grab our FREE handy water tracker pdf below.
Or there are lots of easy apps that help you keep track of your water and some even send you reminders to drink up! If you have a fitbit, you may have one already. If not try some other great apps for free.
STEP 3: Stay Accountable
To successfully complete a water challenge, we recommend accountability. Find a friend to do this with! Check in with each other every day of the challenge. If you’re looking for an accountable online community, join one of our personalized online fitness and nutrition coaching programs.. We do these challenges together.
Each day with your accountability check-in and answer the following questions
1. Did you drink your water goal today?
2. What did you do well today?
3. What did you learn today?
- Get hydrated ASAP in the morning
- Continue to sip throughout the day
- Carry a water bottle wherever you go
- it should be within view and within easy reach
- During high heat and exercise, drink enough to compensate for lost fluids
- Drink water before, during, and after exercise
- Prior to exercise, drink 17 to 20 ounces.
- Every 10 to 20 minutes during exercise, drink 7 to 10 ounces.
- Following exercise (whether you’re thirsty or not), drink 16 to 24 ounces.
- Don’t wait for thirst cues, that’s too long.
- Check your pee colour
- pale yellow means you’re optimally hydrated
- darker yellow means you need more water.
- *some vitamins can distort this colour
- Sugar, Chemicals & Caffeine do NOT count! Your water-log should include only fresh, pure WATER.
- You may also include herbal tea.
- You may add some pure flavor to it by infusing with lemon, lime, cucumber, fruit, or fresh herbs.
- You may consume a small amount of coffee, caffeinated tea, or alcohol but don’t count it as water consumption.
- Do not consumer energy drinks, juice, pop, or anything with additives. Your drink should not contain sugar, sugar substitutes, ‘natural flavouring’ (another word for MSG!!), nothing, nadda, none! Just pure clean water!
Let’s get started
Grab a water bottle, pick a start & end date, download our pdf tracker (form below) or an app, stay accountable with your community, and let’s get hydrated!